Oakville dating service
Bauby's Corner is partially obscured behind the tree. was founded in 1882 and was known as The Waterbury Horse Railroad. "Freedom Through Organization"People wait for a bus at Bauby's Corner on Exchange Place on the morning of August 19, 1955 as Hurricane Diane strikes Waterbury.Over 10 inches of torrential rain from the hurricane, on top of the 6 inches of rain from Hurricane Connie less than a week earlier, produced the Great Flood of 1955 that devastated Waterbury and the entire Naugatuck Valley.The C Trolley transported passengers up East Main Street, Cole and Franklin Streets to the Abrigador, Washington Hill, and Hopeville neighborhoods on Baldwin Street.The Green is a parallelogram in shape, attractively ornamented and with an adjoining open space, which constitutes a centre from which North, South, East and West Main and Bank Streets radiate.The landmark Apothecaries Building is in the center at the intersection of South Main and Bank Streets. Their Waterbury trolley routes were leased to the Connecticut Company, a subsidiary of the New Haven Railroad, on August 1,? The leased routes were turned back to CR&L on November 16, 1936.View a larger version of the 1953 photo which shows greater detail, including the Carroll's Cut Rate store across East Main Street from Liggett's Rexall Drug Store. All the trolley lines were converted to bus routes by 1937. / Name Trolley Route Letter Trolley Discontinued11 Overlook D 5/23/3712 Hill Street13 Oakville (Cooke Street Line)15 Bucks Hill / Fairmount16 Bucks Hill / Farmcrest H 4/ 4/3718 Long Hill 20 Walnut22 Wolcott 25 Hitchcock Lake 26 Fairlawn27 Reidville / East Main D 8/ 5/3428 Scott Road31 East Mountain32 Hopeville / Sylvan33 Hopeville / Baldwin C 1/11/3135 Town Plot / New Haven36 Town Plot / Bradley H 4/ 4/3740 Town Plot / Highland42 Chase Parkway 5/28/3044 Bunker Hill (Bunker Hill Transportation Co.)45 Watertown 5/23/37Trolleys and busses in Waterbury were operated by members of Division 570 of the Amalgamated Association of Street Electric Railway and Motorcoach Employees of America Union.
An error on the map shows East Main Street on the south side of The Green, instead of West Main Street, which is on the south, west, and north sides.
The base and 15 foot granite tower of the clock on the Green were designed by Paul Lux of the Lux Clock Co.
It has been called "Colley's Clock" at times for the president of the Chamber of Commerce, Charles Colley, who fought for it. The 2,500 pound statue on the Carrie Welton Fountain is in memory of Caroline Josephine Welton's black stallion, Knight, and her love of animals.
Weltons will left ,000 for the monument and 0,000 to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals; a cause to which she had already given 0,000 in 1874.
Relatives thought she was insane and contested the will, resulting in a long trial that was covered by the New York Times.
Search for oakville dating service:
You can see vintage images of the flood later in the tour, or you can The man in this photo who is waiting for customers on the sidewalk outside of Bauby's fruit store at Bauby's Corner in the 1920s may be Albert Bauby, the son of founder Joseph Bauby.